Finding out a new language on an Android unit? If the language takes advantage of a distinct alphabet or employs accents that your key language does not, you might require to include a new application keyboard to your telephone.
The good thing is, Google’s regular Gboard keyboard consists of a plethora of language-connected keyboards at final count, it presented over 500 languages above 40 diverse crafting devices. If you have previously put in Gboard in the US, you’re possible presently set up with US English. But it’s not complicated to incorporate just one or more new keyboards and rapidly switch from a single language to a different. Here’s how to set up and use a person or extra of the several languages out there. (Observe: this was tried out out working with a Pixel 3 cell phone and Android 12 your interface may change.)
Initially, you need to have to get to the “Languages” webpage.
- Just one way is to open up an app this sort of as email or chat and tap in an area where you can kind in buy to provide up the keyboard.
- Tap on the settings icon (the one particular that appears to be like like a gear) just earlier mentioned the keyboard. If you don’t see it, click on on the arrow on the left just above the keyboard to provide up the toolbar.
- Decide on “Languages.”
You can also get to the web site from your Android device’s main settings menu. From the settings:
- Decide on “System.”
- Decide on “Languages & input” > “On-display screen keyboard” > “Gboard” > “Languages.”
As soon as you have attained the “Languages” webpage, you can insert a new language:
- Tap on “Add keyboard” at the base of the site.
- Scroll to the language that you want to add and faucet it. (It is a lengthy checklist, so you may conserve some time by utilizing the look for icon on the best right of the screen.) If you have been utilizing a language-finding out or other language-linked application just lately, the one particular you want may well by now be on prime underneath “Suggested languages.”
- Relying on the language, you may be ready to pick out from a list of various types of keyboards on top rated of the display screen. (For illustration, you might be in a position to decide for a QWERTY or Dvorak keyboard, or established handwriting selections.) The most probably recommendation will be first, but you can swipe across to see some others that are available. On the exact site, underneath “Language settings,” the “Multilingual typing” possibility allows you pick to be provided phrase ideas from more than one language although you kind. (No matter whether it is out there is dependent on which language you’re incorporating.)
- When you’re finished, faucet the “Done” button. You are going to be brought back again to the “Languages” page exactly where you are going to see the new language mentioned. Faucet the left arrow at the major left corner to depart the website page.
You are going to now see the keyboard’s language named on the area bar. (If you enabled multilingual typing, you will see abbreviations of each language names.) In addition, there will now be a world icon to the remaining of the keyboard instead of the emoji icon. (The emoji icon can now be accessed through a prolonged push on the comma important.)
To modify keyboards, faucet on the world your keyboard will change to the following in line. You can also extensive press on the area bar and choose the language you want from the pop-up menu.
If you are no for a longer period working with 1 of your languages and you want to remove it from the record:
- Prolonged press the room bar to get the “Change keyboard” menu.
- Tap on “Language options.”
Locate the language you no extended require, and swipe to the remaining to take away it.
Update October 1st, 2021, 4:45PM ET: This write-up was originally posted on January 3rd, 2020 and has been updated to enable for updates in the Android OS.